A Step-By-Step Guide To Changing Your Name After Marriage - Eternity UK

A Step-By-Step Guide To Changing Your Name After Marriage

18th September 2023

Planning to change your name after marriage? You’re in the right place!

The decision to change your name after marriage can be quite overwhelming, but definitely an exciting one as you embark on this new chapter. Forbes found that 8 in 10 women change their name after marriage, with some of the remainder choosing to double barrel. It’s also becoming increasingly common for husbands to change their name, to that of their partners or a double-barrel, after marriage nowadays too.

Traditionally, in our South Asian culture, it has always been extremely common for women to change their name after marriage; as seen by our parents and grandparents. Ultimately, the choice is yours and it comes down to your personal preferences & beliefs.

If and when you choose to change your surname, you will likely be faced by the enormous mountain of post-wedding admin; such as informing the government, your workplace, your bank, and so much more.

That’s why, we’ve partnered with NameSwitch: the go-to service provider that helps you change your name with ease.

in this blog


The different name changing options

Before making a decision, you should definitely understand the legal requirements for changing your name in your jurisdiction, as these requirements can vary by location. Additionally, consider the potential impact on your personal and professional life, as well as any cultural or familial expectations that may play a role in your decision. 

Take your partner's last name

This is the most traditional & common route that couples opt for, and one that we have seen historically through generations. In heterosexual relationships, it is often most common for the woman to take on the man’s surname, however, we have increasingly seen instances where the man takes on the woman’s surname too.

Hyphenating your surnames

Most commonly known as double-barrelling your surnames, this consists of combining both partner’s surnames to create a new hyphenated one. This is exactly what the global Desi influencer, Diipa Büller-Khosla and her husband, Oleg Büller-Khosla opted for.

It’s important to note that this option can mean twice the admin, but that’s where NameSwitch is twice as useful!

Creating a new last name

An increasingly common option, nowadays, is for couples to form a new last name.

However, have a think, how many stories have you heard from your desi grandparents where an ancestor randomly decided to change their family name one fine morning? So, I guess South Asians have technically been doing this one for decades. Often, it’s a completely new & unrelated name!

Meshing surnames

With that being said, the above can sometimes be done with two related names. Some couples opt to mesh their surnames together, kind of like Kimye or Bradgelina; but as your surname instead. Trust us, it’s becoming way more common and often makes each partner feel equal.

Changing your middle name

Another growing option is where women are choosing to change their surname to their partners, so that they have a common family name, but they choose to keep their maiden name as their middle name.

Changing your name in certain scenarios

Tons of couples are opting to keep things informal in some instances, and formal on some legal documents. For instance, we have heard numerous stories where women have opted to change their surname on their passport, but keeping their maiden name in the workplace; often due to achieving qualifications ie. Dr.

who should you notify of a name change?

Who you notify will largely depend on if you are blanket changing your surname after marriage, or if you are choosing to change it in certain scenarios.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC): Inform HMRC of your name change for tax purposes. You may need to update your tax records and national insurance information.

Passport Office: If you have a UK passport, you should apply for a new one with your updated name. You’ll typically need to submit your old passport, your marriage certificate, and a passport application form.

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA): Update your driving license and vehicle registration documents with your new name. You can usually do this online or by mail.

Banks and Building Societies: Notify your banks, building societies, and other financial institutions where you have accounts or investments. They will update your name on your accounts, debit/credit cards, and statements.

Employer: Inform your employer of your name change so they can update their records, including payroll information, tax records, and your employment contract.

National Insurance: Contact the National Insurance Contributions Office to update your name on your National Insurance records.

Electoral Roll: Update your name on the electoral roll to ensure you can vote in local and national elections.

Utility Companies: Inform your utility providers (gas, electricity, water, etc.) of your name change to update your billing information.

Council Tax: Notify your local council of your name change to update your council tax records.

Insurance Providers: Contact your insurance providers (health, car, home, etc.) to update your name on your policies.

Schools and Educational Institutions: If you have children in school or attend an educational institution, inform them of your name change so they can update their records.

GP, Dentist, and Other Healthcare Providers: Notify your healthcare providers of your name change to ensure your medical records are accurate.

Professional Organisations: If you belong to any professional associations, update your name with them to reflect your new legal name.


what documents do you need before changing your name?

Alongside the specific forms that each institution will require, there are some blanket documents that you should definitely have to hand initially.

Marriage Certificate: If you’re changing your name after getting married, you’ll need your original marriage certificate as evidence of your name change.

Proof of Identity: You’ll typically require a valid UK passport, UK driving license, or another government-issued photo ID as proof of your identity.

Proof of Address: Some organizations may request proof of your current address. You can usually provide utility bills, council tax statements, or a bank statement as evidence of your address.

Change of Name Deed (Deed Poll): While not always necessary, a Change of Name Deed (commonly referred to as a Deed Poll) can be helpful, especially if you’re changing your name to something other than your spouse’s last name. A Deed Poll is a legal document that confirms your intention to use your new name.

How does nameswitch work?

Okay so, you’ve probably had a bit of an information overload, but don’t worry we’re here to help.

NameSwitch believes that a new chapter in your life should be a time of excitement – not drowning in paperwork and procrastination. They reduce your workload and save you roughly 15 hours of time that you would have spent on the admin.

NameSwitch have made it super easy. You simply login to their website, tick their list in choosing exactly who it is you want to notify of your name change and enter your basic details.

Then, in the click of a button, all of your pre-filled letters & forms are instantly accessible for you to access from their secure server. It really is as easy as 1, 2, 3!

Here's a breakdown of their packages.

Get instant access to your secure portal where you’ll find your personalised name change notification letters, forms and instructions ready to print.

Complete the remaining fields, sign and send!

Printer out of action? Leave that to NameSwitch. Get instant access to your personalised name change notification letters, forms and instructions.

Receive your printed pack – including passport & drivers licence forms – 1st class recorded delivery.

Send a loved one an eGift card and give them the gift of time. eGift cards valid for 12 months. Select your choice of package at checkout.

As your reward for being a highly valued Eternity member, NameSwitch are offering £5 off each package with the code ETERNITY-FIVE.